Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ozymandias

I don't normally read a lot of poetry, but this has to be one of my favorite poems. I really makes you stop and think about what is truly valuable and lasting (Matt. 6:19-20).

"Ozymandias"
Percy Bysshe Shelley

I met a traveler from and antique land who said:
Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains, round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The low and level sands stretch far away.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

You're right; that poem does leave one with a lot to think about.
Champ

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home